It’s a new year, and that means it’s time to start thinking about ways to improve your home and your heating and cooling system. But how can you make sure you don’t fall for a scam?
1. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is! Beware of heating and cooling companies who offer deals that seem “too cheap” or claim they can complete the job for half of what other companies charge. Plus, they might show you pricey estimates from other companies that aren’t even true! Overall, although we and many other companies offer the most reasonable and affordable prices possible, and can also work with you on financing, any company that claims to be charging “half” of what others charge isn’t reputable and won’t actually fix your issue!
2. Do your research! Take the time to read reviews of heating and cooling companies before you hire them, and even ask your friends and family for recommendations. You can also check the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website, or Yelp and Google reviews, to see if any complaints have been filed against a company. Of course, the biggest red flag of all would be if someone from a company solicits your business (such as by coming to your door) and then later, you can’t find any kind of online presence whatsoever!.
3. Along these lines, by wary of door-to-door salesmen! While it’s true that some HVAC companies rely on door-to-door sales, some will try to trick you into crazy services, such as “renting” heating and cooling equipment at high prices. Even here in Orange County, that’s something that can happen! If someone comes to your door and starts pushing you to sign a contract, or starts fear-mongering you (a common tactic is to say that there has been a “recall” or that your home has a safety issue), it’s most likely a scam.
4. Get everything in writing! This is especially important when it comes to the cost of the job. Heating and cooling companies might try to get you to sign a contract without giving you a full breakdown of the price, or they might change the price after work has been completed. Make sure that all agreements are made in writing, and that all your questions are answered to your satisfaction before you agree to pay a penny!
5. Make sure the company and its technicians are licensed. An easy way to check this, of course, is to do an online search for the company’s license number. You can also verify that information on the BBB website. Any heating and cooling company should also have liability insurance (covering their technicians and your property). All technicians will be happy to show or explain their credentials if needed! (At least, if it’s not a scam!)
Of course, even if a company is completely legitimate, fair, and will do a great job, there’s only one way to know if they are right for you. If you’re looking for heating or plumbing service in Orange County, why not call the experts at Biard & Crockett? If you’re looking for a heating and cooling company that is reputable, experienced, and licensed, contact us online or give us a call: (714) 602-1299